Boutique Beauty Retailers: Channel Analysis and Opportunities
Base Year: 2018
United States - Published December 2018
Japan - To Be Published 1st Quarter 2019
Regional Coverage: Asia, United States
Specialty stores is one of the leading and fastest growing channels for beauty, but also one of the least tracked in terms of data coverage. Leveraging Kline’s long history of successfully monitoring the specialty stores channel through its Beauty Retailing report series, this program will offer in-depth insights into the boutique retailer (or vertically-integrated specialty store) channel.
This Report Will Help Subscribers to:
- Assess the size and evolution of the boutique retailer channel
- Quantify sales and door counts for key and emerging retail chains
- Take a deep look at the competitive strengths and focus of important specialty retailers, such as Lush, L’Occitane, and NYX
- Understand various productivity measures, including store sizes, traffic patterns, and number of sales associates
The program consists of two deliverables, a written report and an interactive database with data for each country listed in Table 1
Contents of Written Report
- Key takeaways
- Factors for success
- Retailer profiles of approximately 10 select retailers (see Table 2) that includes the following:
− Competitive focus and strengths
− Sales and door count
− Typical store size
− Prime type of locations (street versus mall)
− Estimated productivity measures (sales/square foot, traffic patterns)
− Role of beauty
− Product offerings
− Pricing strategy
− Merchandising activities
− Photos of store exterior and interior
− Assessment and outlook
|Table 1: Countries Covered|
|Table 2: Retailers Profiled|
|Cle de Peau Beauty||Chanel|
|Lush||Jo Malone London|
|NOTE: This study will cover any and all boutique beauty retailers in Japan as part of the scope. These few have tentatively been selected to be profiled in detail.|
|Table 3: List of Categories Covered|
|Fragrances||Fragrances for men
Fragrances for women
Ethnic hair care products
Hair coloring products
Hair styling products and sprays
|Skin care (body)||Baby care products
Hand and body lotions
Skin care products for men
Sun care products
|Skin care (face)||
Facial skin care (moisturizers, cleansers,
|Other beauty||Deodorants and antiperspirants
Personal cleansing products
Anything else sold by the retailer
* Subject to charter subscriber input
Contents of Database
The database contains detailed information for all key retailers in each country, featuring the following:
|Fields in database||Values in database|
Segment (mass, masstige, premium)
Product category (see Table 3)
Years (2017 and 2018 in first edition; rolling thereafter)
Scope & Benefits
Boutique Beauty Retailers: Channel Analysis and Opportunities will provide a detailed independent appraisal of the fast-moving specialty stores channel and explores market opportunities and threats for beauty marketers and retailers.
- Boutique retailers, also called freestanding stores or vertically-integrated beauty retailers, are defined as retailers where the brand equals the retailer, and the brand is the only one sold at that store.
- Retailers analyzed are chains with three or more locations.
- This analysis will cover sales in the physical specialty store channel only. It will exclude any sales that specialty store brands may generate outside of the channel (e.g., via department stores or the Internet).
- This edition will focus on Japan and the United States.
- Category scope includes skin care (face), skin care (body), makeup, fragrances, hair care, and other beauty.
- The service will examine retailers in three segments based on price positioning—mass, masstige, and premium.
This service will assist beauty marketers and retailers in identifying opportunities and threats within the specialty stores channel. It will also serve as an invaluable tool in the strategic planning process.
- Quantify the boutique beauty retailer channel better than ever before.
- Have a more complete picture of the overall beauty market.
- Continually monitor developments in this critical channel.
- Understand emerging trends and retailers.
- Assess key success factors and productivity measures across a number of retailers.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends and developments driving freestanding stores.