Boutique Beauty Retailers: Channel Analysis and Opportunities
To Be Published 4th Quarter 2016
Base Year: 2016
Forecasts to 2021
Regional Coverage: Asia, Europe, United States
Specialty stores is one of the leading and fastest growing channels for beauty, but also one of the least tracked in terms of data coverage. Leveraging Kline’s long history of successfully monitoring the specialty stores channel through its Beauty Retailing report series, this new program will offer in-depth insights into the boutique retailer (or vertically-integrated specialty store) channel. This first edition will take a close look at four key markets where many leading boutique retailers are headquartered: France, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
This report will help subscribers to:
- Assess the size and evolution of the boutique retailer channel
- Quantify sales and door counts for key and emerging retailer chains
- Take a deep look at the competitive strengths and focus of important specialty retailers, such as Lush, L’Occitane, and TheFaceShop
- Understand various productivity measures, including store sizes, traffic patterns, and number of sales associates
Contents of Written Report
- Key takeaways
- Factors for success
- Retailer profiles of approximately 10 select retailers (see Table 2) that will include the following:
− Competitive focus and strengths
− Sales and door count
− Typical store size
− Prime type of locations (street versus mall)
− Estimated productivity measures (sales/square foot, traffic patterns)
− Role of beauty
− Product offerings
− Pricing strategy
− Merchandising activities
− Photos of store exterior and interior
− Assessment and outlook
|Table 1: Countries Covered
| Table 2: Retailers to be Profiled
||Bath & Body Works
||Crabtree & Evelyn
||Neal's Yard Remedies
||The Body Shop
* Subject to charter subscriber input
Contents of Database
The database will contain detailed information for all key retailers in each country, featuring the following:
|Fields in database
||Values in database
Segment (mass, masstige, premium)
Product category (see Table 3)
Years (2015 and 2016 in first edition; rolling thereafter)
|Table 3: List of Categories Covered
||Fragrances for men
Fragrances for women
Ethnic hair care products
Hair coloring products
Hair styling products and sprays
Lipsticks and lip glosses
|Skin care (body)
||Baby care products
Hand and body lotions
Skin care products for men
Sun care products
|Skin care (face)
Facial skin care (moisturizers, cleansers,
||Deodorants and antiperspirants
Depilatories, waxes, and bleaches
Oral care products
Personal cleansing products
Anything else sold by the retailer
not included above, such as candles,
Boutique Beauty Retailers: Channel Analysis and Opportunities will provide a detailed independent appraisal of the fast-moving specialty stores channel and will explore market opportunities and threats for beauty marketers and retailers.
- Boutique retailers, also called freestanding stores or vertically-integrated beauty retailers, are defined as retailers where the brand equals the retailer, and the brand is the only one sold at that store.
- Retailers analyzed are chains with three or more locations.
- This analysis will cover sales in the physical specialty store channel only. It will exclude any sales that specialty store brands may generate outside of the channel (e.g., via department stores or the Internet).
- This first edition will focus on markets where several vertically-integrated beauty retailers are headquartered: France, South Korea, United Kingdom, and United States.
- Category scope includes skin care (face), skin care (body), makeup, fragrances, hair care, and other beauty.
- The service will examine retailers in three segments based on price positioning—mass, masstige, and premium
This service will assist beauty marketers and retailers in identifying opportunities and threats within the specialty stores channel. It will also serve as an invaluable tool in the strategic planning process.
- Quantify the boutique beauty retailer channel better than ever before.
- Have a more complete picture of the overall beauty market.
- Continually monitor developments in this critical channel.
- Understand emerging trends and retailers.
- Assess key success factors and productivity measures across a number of retailers.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends and developments driving freestanding stores.
Kline’s approach places the principal emphasis on primary research techniques to ensure that the foundation of
business intelligence and insight is accurate, current, and reliable. Building on our 50-plus years in the business
and leveraging our worldwide network of offices, our teams of seasoned professionals draw upon pragmatic
industrial and commercial experience to understand and interpret global impacts and local perspectives.
We Know Who to Talk to. We Know How to Listen.
A high number of in-depth discussions are conducted
by each analyst. All interviews are done
with the true industry insiders!
Kline’s analysts draw upon pragmatic experience to
understand global impacts and local perspectives.
Our interviews engage experts across all pertinent
fields and sectors including:
- Retailers – at both a corporate level and store level
- Store managers and sales associates
- Government agencies
- Trade organization
We Know Where to Look – Mining the Details.
Analysis is further supplemented by secondary
research, consisting of constant tracking of annual
company reports, national statistics bureaux, trade/
industrial/professional associations, and the like.
Relevant developments are diligently followed and
their impact closely monitored. Reports also draw
upon non-confidential data from Kline’s internal
database, consisting of over half a century’s
Comprehensive Market Intelligence
We Know How to Verify.
Data are rigorously analyzed, cross-checked, distilled
and validated. Kline’s proven methodology allows
exceptionally effective, precise and reliable market intelligence procurement and assessment, giving
subscribers a solid foundation on which to grow, refine and expand their business with confidence.
Kline is a leading global management consulting and market research firm offering the complete
spectrum of services. The firm has served the management consulting and market research needs
of organizations in the chemicals, materials, energy,
life sciences, and consumer products industries for
over 50 years.